Everything You Need to Know About Mixers
IT’S MIXER SEASON!!
You did it! You made it through Recruitment, joined your perfect sorority, and now it’s time to attend your first mixer.
So, wait… what’s a mixer?
A mixer is a closed party between one sorority and one fraternity. “Closed” means that members from other Greek organizations or non-members are not allowed to attend the oh-so exclusive party. Often, a sorority has a certain frat that they mix with the most and refer to that frat as their “brother” frat.
How to Be Fully Prepared for Your First Mixer
1. The fun part about mixers is that each has a theme. For example, it could be a beach theme night where all of the brothers pull out their coconut bras and hula skirts. Most members tend to go all out for these events, so don’t be shy to fully embrace the lei.
2. Always have a buddy system at mixers. Although these are smaller events than the typical “open” a.k.a. inclusive college party, still be safe and go with a small group of sisters and remember to look out for each other.
3. Make friends! Mixers are intended for you to make guy and girl friends, embracing your Greek letters. Don’t go into these events with a mindset of, “I’m going to meet a super hot guy.” Be open minded to long-lasting friendships!
4. Eat a big meal before the event. Mixers can be long. Sometimes you have to stay for the full party. Never pull the “I want to look skinny in my pictures” excuse and not eat a big dinner before. You don’t want to be miserable and hungry all night.
10 Popular Mixer Themes You Need to Know About
1. Neon Lights
This one is pretty self-explanatory: dress in all things neon!
2. Bahama Bash
Who cares that summer is over? Bring back the bikinis and hula skirts.
3. Out of this World
Did someone say alien? Metallic colors and glow-in-the-dark paint are a MUST for this mixer.
4. Greek is Great
Dress to your culture in togas! Yes, you can just tie your bedsheets around you and make a dress.
5. Someone say PAJAMA PARTY?!
Parties are sooo late, but who cares when you can just show up in your pajamas?
6. Denim on Denim
Denim is really in right now. Perfect to layer up and roll up to your mixer in style.
7. Angel and Devils
Okay, fine… it’s not quite Halloween, but who says embracing your inner angel isn’t allowed in September?
8. Boxing Ring
Throw on your pink boxing gloves and cutest sports bra as you throw a switch kick.
You may be thinking “WHOA, there’s no way I’m going into a party with no clothes!” Don’t worry, Anything But Clothes means that you wear duct tape, plastic bags, etc.– definitely a fun chance to get creative.
10. Lastly, the Shackles Mixer
For the majority of this party, you are chained to either a fraternity guy or one of your sisters and then forced to get to know each other! Sounds weird, but it’s so much fun.
Are you ready for mixer season?
Mixers are amazing! You will love them. Comment below are questions you have about all things mixers.